WordPress Database replacing the easy way
I published an NPM package a small cli tool which does the exporting and replacing the URL for a WordPress website piece of cake. You can export and replace within 10 seconds (depending the size of the database and how fast you type).
I started this as a project for personal use, but decided to make it as an NPM package and publicly accessible. We all know the ritual for WordPress development.
- Develop local using docker containers
- Use git commit, git push (or FTP upload for old school hardcore people) to deploy
- open phpmyadmin, find the database,export the database
- find the file in the downloads folder (find which one is the latest from
database (5).sqlbecause you deleted (4)
- replace the local url with the staging/production url you can do it by:
- using any text editor to search/replace the url or
- using a plugin to import and replace url in the database
- Install the plugin
- Configure the plugin
- Run the search/replace and wait to finish
- Done Or do the following while you are in your project directory:
devild db:exportand follow the instructions to export your database in your current directory
devild db:replaceand follow the instructions to replace the url and create another file to keep the original one.
- done ( ~10 seconds ⏳ )
This package is available at NPM Registry where you can install it by running
yarn global add @perlatsp/devild or
npm i -g @perlatsp/devild
Join the newsletter.
I'm kind of experimenting with this whole "building a mailing list" thing.
I mean, I heard it's a good practice, so why not give it a shot?
If you're up for it, feel free to drop your email address and who knows, you might possibly receive an update from me someday. Maybe. Or maybe not.
But hey, there's only one way to find out, right?